Music Publishing 101
Learn about protecting, and profiting from, music copyrights
About Music Publishing 101
Subject: Music Business
Level: Beginner and above
Are you confused by how music publishing and copyright actually works? Do you want to ensure you protect yourself and your songs? Once you have completed this step-by-step, online course, you too will know how music publishing and copyright works including self-publishing, copyright law, monetising rights, licensing, synchronisations, and licensing rates.
Music Publishing 101 finally teaches you the blues guitar skills you need AND gives you the personalized feedback you want.
Music Publishing 101 will take you from being stuck in a rut to playing in each of the six guitar styles with real confidence. How do we do this? With personalized feedback from an experienced ICMP teacher.
The Music Publishing 101 Online Course (a.k.a. how to protect, and profit from music copyrights), developed by best-selling author and entertainment lawyer Ann Harrison and music publisher Ian Ramage of ‘Music Business Courses’ finally teaches you the fundamentals and advanced music publishing concepts you need AND gives you the personalized feedback you want.
How do you protect your copyrights and REALLY ensure you know what is required to self-publish, promote and profit from those copyrights whether that’s through getting them covered by other artists or being used on hit TV shows?
Copyrights, contracts and collaborations are the building blocks to successful music publishing. Songwriters, musicians and music entrepreneurs who are serious about profiting from their creative works must know the language, legal terms, industry structures and strategies that if they want to make it in music.
This comprehensive course is a partnership between three leaders in the music business, Ann Harrison, Ian Ramage and ICMP ONLINE. The course authors are Ann Harrison, a best-selling author and music lawyer, and Ian Ramage, a successful music publisher who has worked with Coldplay, Keane and Elvis Costello. In addition to this you’ll have access to your own ICMP online tutor. Music Publishing 101 is a focused, six-week online course that will:
- Give you the information and confidence to protect your copyrights – Learn the essential music publishing terms to secure your rights.
- Establish new understanding and skills – You’ll be shocked by how quickly your knowledge of the music industry will improve with these detailed yet easy to follow tutorials.
- Support you every step of the way – You are not alone. You’ll be supported by your own ICMP ONLINE tutor to give you personalized feedback.
ICMP has been one of the world’s leading providers of contemporary music education for the past 30 years with over 1,000 part-time, degree and masters students studying at its London campus each year. Find out more about ICMP here.
Module 1: What is Music Publishing
- Lesson 1: Music Publishing Defined
- Lesson 2: The Building Blocks
- Lesson 3: Brief History
- Lesson 4: Music Publishers vs Record Labels
- Lesson 5: Self Publishing
- Lesson 1: Copyright and Music Law
- Lesson 2: Copyright in Works
- Lesson 3: Key Differences
- Lesson 4: Basic Contract Law
- Lesson 5: USA vs UK/Europe
- Lesson 6: Practical Protection
Module 3: Music Law Next Step
- Lesson 1: Protecting Copyright Owners
- Lesson 2: Rights Duration
- Lesson 3: Sampling
- Lesson 4: Monetising Rights
- Lesson 5: Policing Rights
- Lesson 6: Administering Rights
Module 4: What Do Publishers Do?
- Lesson 1: Discovery Process
- Lesson 2: Admin Song Copyrights
- Lesson 3: Creative A&R
- Lesson 4: Sync and Licensing
- Lesson 5: Business Structure
Module 5: Publishing Mechanics
- Lesson 1: Income Streams
- Lesson 2: Core Elements
- Lesson 3: Deal Making
- Lesson 4: Publishing Contracts
- Lesson 5: Income Tracking
Module 6: The Future of Publishing
- Lesson 1: Publishing Revolution
- Lesson 2: Changes Since 2000
- Lesson 3: Rights Management Model
- Lesson 4: Brand Alliances
- Lesson 5: The Future
INTRODUCTION TO MUSIC PUBLISHING
In this video Ian Ramage gives an introduction to music publishing.
BUNDLE OF RIGHTS
In this video Ann Harrison talks about ‘the bundle of rights’ when it comes to music publishing.
HOW TO SELF-PUBLISH YOUR SONGS
Ian Ramage and Ann Harrison cover how to self-publish your songs and more about the Music Publishing 101 course.
Personalised 1-on-1 online instruction
1st September 2016 Enroll Now
- Private personalized 1-on-1 video lessons with an ICMP teacher.
- Personalized lesson plan
- 6 Week online course including HD videos and support materials
- Live online group workshops with your fellow students
- Student discussion forum
- Download all course materials
- Completion certificate
The creators of the course are music publisher Ian Ramage and music industry lawyer Ann Harrison of ‘Music Business Courses’. Drawing on her extensive experience as a media lawyer, Ann Harrison offers a unique, expert opinion on the deals, the contracts and the business as a whole. As Director of Marketing at EMI, Ian worked with Kate Bush, Pink Floyd and Diana Ross before joining BMG and Sony ATV, working with a broad spectrum of artists and writers (Coldplay, Keane, Richard Hawley, Neil Hannon, Feist, Elvis Costello, The Cure).
30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Over the 30 years we have been teaching, we have earned a reputation for quality, excellence and success. Your investment is protected by our 30-day guarantee, so you can try an ICMP ONLINE course risk-free.