Harmony & Theory 101
Learn the fundamentals of music harmony and theory
About Harmony & Theory 101
Subject: Music Theory
Level: Beginner and above
What if you could gain a deep understanding of music theory and harmony in six weeks or less? Do you currently feel nervous about you lack of music theory knowledge?
The Harmony & Theory 101 Online Course (a.k.a. how to understand music course), developed by Michael McEvoy and ICMP ONLINE finally teaches you the concepts you need AND gives you the personalized feedback you want.
Once you have completed this step-by-step, interactive video instruction course, you too will know how music theory, harmony, intervals, chords and scales work to not only have fun playing the music…
…but to actually make your music more interesting.
You’ll no longer play the same things over and over again because you lack the musical vocabulary or struggle with an understanding of the theory and harmony that underpins music.
Imagine what it would be like to finally have a solid base of musical knowledge so that you can read, write, and truly hear the elements of music like never before.
Harmony, rhythm, scales, intervals and chords are the building blocks to learn any style of music.
So whether it’s:
- Interval Training
- Music Theory
- Intervals as Building Blocks
- Harmony, and even…
…getting that solid base of knowledge is available to anyone. You just know how to learn the language of music in the right way.
This comprehensive course is a partnership between two leaders in music learning, Michael McAvoy and ICMP ONLINE. The course author is Michael McAvoy, an award-winning composer, arranger, multi-instrumentalist and music theory teacher whose music has been on TV shows for the BBC, HBO and National Geographic. In addition to lessons from Michael you’ll have access to your own ICMP online tutor.
Harmony & Theory 101 is a focused, six-week online course that will:
- Give you the confidence – Learn the fundamental concepts to understand and master music.
- Establish new technique and skills – You’ll be shocked by how quickly your understanding will improve with these interval and triad exercises.
- Support you every step of the way – You are not alone. You’ll be supported by your own ICMP ONLINE tutor to give you personalized feedback.
ICMP has been one of the world’s leading providers of contemporary music education for the past 30 years with over 1,000 part-time, degree and masters students studying at its London campus each year. Find out more about ICMP here.
- Lesson 1: Staff, G Clef, Ledger Lines, Middle C
- Lesson 2: Pulse, Time Signature 4/4, Tempo
- Lesson 3: Notes on stage EGBDA and FACE, Diatonic
- Lesson 4: Intervals of Major Scale, Semitone Distances
- Lesson 5: Major Triads, Tonic, Mediant, Dominant
- Lesson 6: I-IV-V Chord Progression, Cadences, Inversions
- Lesson 1: Bass Clef, Range
- Lesson 2: Subdivisions, Equivalent Rests
- Lesson 3: Natural Minor, Relative Minor
- Lesson 4: Naming Remaining Intervals
- Lesson 5: Minor Triad
- Lesson 6: Harmonising C Major in Triads
- Lesson 1: Position of Accidentals
- Lesson 2: Dotted Notes and Rests
- Lesson 3: Formulas for Natural Minors
- Lesson 4: Interval Inversions and Rules
- Lesson 5: Suspended Chords
- Lesson 6: Harmonised Minor Scale in Triads
- Lesson 1: Beaming in Rhythms
- Lesson 2: Ties Across Bars
- Lesson 3: Formula For Harmonic & Melodic Minor
- Lesson 4: Enharmonics
- Lesson 5: Open and Closed Voicings
- Lesson 6: Chord Progressions in All Keys
- Lesson 1: Expression Markings
- Lesson 2: Permutations of 1/16 Notes
- Lesson 3: Major & Minor Pentatonic
- Lesson 4: Compound Intervals
- Lesson 5: Harmonising Major Scale
- Lesson 6: Circle of 5ths
- Lesson 1: Transposition
- Lesson 2: Simple Time & Compound Time
- Lesson 3: Major Scale Modes
- Lesson 4: Bass Note, Pedal Tones
- Lesson 5: Diatonic 9th Extensions
- Lesson 6: Harmony Final
WHY LEARN MUSIC THEORY
In this video Michael McAvoy talks about why it’s important to understand music theory.
THE ‘SUS’ CHORD
In this video Michael covers the ‘Sus’ or ‘Suspended’ chords.
HARMONIC PROGRESSIONS AND NINTHS
In this video Michael talks about harmonic progressions and how to analyze chords and positions.
Personalised 1-on-1 online instruction
1st September 2016 Enroll Now
- Private personalized 1-on-1 video lessons with an ICMP teacher.
- Personalized lesson plan
- 6 Week online course including HD videos and support materials
- Live online group workshops with your fellow students
- Student discussion forum
- Download all course materials
- Completion certificate
The course author is Michael McEvoy, an award-winning composer, arranger, multi-instrumentalist and teacher. His credits include performing, writing and producing music for film and TV, as well as working with some of the biggest names in popular music. Michael’s film work includes composing original music for Richard Linklater’s movie Me and Orson Welles starring Zac Efron & Claire Danes and the score for indie feature Forget Me Not (Winner of Best Film, London Independent Film Festival). Michael has also collaborated on feature film scores with DJ Paul Oakenfold and is an acclaimed documentary composer with credits such as Alien Deep (National Geographic), E=Mc2(Channel 4) and French Beauty (BBC:Storyville). His music has been used in many popular dramas and TV series including The Wire, Live From Abbey Road and Young Dracula.
30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Over the 30 years we have been teaching, we have earned a reputation for quality, excellence and success. Your investment is protected by our 30-day guarantee, so you can try an ICMP ONLINE course risk-free.